The PBCS

The PBCS is a group of people who read the same thing at the same time. All are invited to more or less partake.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Volcanic rumblings

Well, perhaps not. *grin*

Oh yeah, the reading this evening at Lemuria. I'm going to try to make it. I am rather tired though.

I went to Martin's after book club and listened to the Scissormen in concert. I caught the first set of their show and bought the CD. I recognized the guitarist's name from some stuff he's written. He's a showman-- and so is the drummer. It's too bad it wasn't a weekend show. I couldn't fall asleep until after 2 a.m. and I'm working on four and a half hours of sleep.

Back to Book Club. It was indeed enjoyable. The company, cameraderie, and Coronas certainly were positives.

I think the thing that's struck me most so far about UTV is the obvious gap between Geoffrey & Hugh and Yvonne. Geoffrey, to me, recognizes that things are changing to something he doesn't like-- war. With him being the oldest of this trio, he's got a different perspective than Hugh. Geoffrey's war weary and Hugh's the opposite. And Geoffrey's an alcoholic.

I don't know what to think yet. It's beginning to look like one of those books I'd normally have to read more than once. I've not begun reading Chapter 5 yet so I can't even begin to try to address Anne's thoughts. I don't know what to think yet. But that particular problem will be addressed the more I get into the book. When I finish the book, who knows what I'll think of UTV as of the end of Chapter 4.

This is admittedly a little bit different format for me than I'm accustomed. I'm traditionally a speed reader. There's no way I could speed read UTV, but not having read the book previously & not looking ahead kind is interesting. I'm looking forward to reading all of it, but am doing my best not to. I want to whet my appetite instead of gulping it down.

Oh, by the way-- I did a little google searching and found this Under the Volcano crossword puzzle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home