The PBCS

The PBCS is a group of people who read the same thing at the same time. All are invited to more or less partake.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Next Up: Lucky Jim

Those of you who read my blog and receive my emails should know by now that I selected Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis to be the next book club read.

So far, it looks like there's been general approval of my choice. I was asked last night why I chose the book. DTrane had known that I was seriously considering this Graham Greene book.

For several years I've had a fondness for novels with an academic setting such as Richard Russo's Straight Man and Jane Smiley's Moo. For what it's worth, I prefer the Smiley book if only because the fictional university in her book reminded me a lot of Mississippi State University, where I earned my B.A. and M.A.

I've also been known to email links to articles and columns that are found in The Chronicle of Higher Education. A few weeks ago, I was at the website and noticed this article.

Initially intrigued, I did some further research. I liked what I read about the book and thought it'd be good. We'll meet just once because Lucky Jim is less than 300 pages and also due to some actual and potential scheduling difficulties in the next few weeks. I'll send out suggested dates later today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home