The PBCS

The PBCS is a group of people who read the same thing at the same time. All are invited to more or less partake.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

New Book

The Indian dinner was a whopping success. Good food, interesting company. I think everyone liked the Rushdie, even if some are glad to be out from under its weight. Before the main course I clinked my glass and announced our new book: The Known World by Edward P. Jones. There were gasps and applause from the table. Such a magnificent selection! Such moral ambiguity! I have looked at the length of the chapters, and a likely schedule would be...
Jan. 17th ----- Ch. 1 and 2
Jan. 31st ----- Ch. 3,4, and 5
Feb. 14th ----- Ch. 6,7, and 8
Feb. 28th ----- Ch. 9,10,11, and 12
Chapters 1 and 2 combine for around 50 pages, and the other meeting page counts are 100 and change. If it seems like faster reading, we could combine the last 3 meetings into 2, but we can decide that on the 17th. I leave you with this question: Does it hurt your teeth to bite into ice cream? AHA! Fooled you! I actually leave you with no questions!

5 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

I checked the bookstore stock of The Known World and we have 4 or 5 copies. I think some of you already have it so that should be enough. One question: Should we change the dates of the meetings in February (only by a day or two) because one is Valentine's Day and the other Mardi Gras?

Had a fabulous time last night and look forward to meeting with you all again!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Mr. Satsuma said...

Yes, I got my paperback last night, and of course like everything else at Lemuria, it was signed. I hope we have to change the meeting from the 14th, because it would be dang sad if we didn't.

9:08 AM  
Blogger The Library Guy said...

I checked out a hardcover from the college library today so I'm okay. As far as meetings are concerned, it'd be nice if we don't have to meet on the 14th, but my romantic life is sufficiently dang sad enough for me not to mind if we do have book club on that date.

2:45 PM  
Blogger otherjay said...

Ah, a Today Show book club pick! I've ordered it and here are some handy links to pass your time: Janet Maslin's NYT review, the Boston Globe review, and the illustrious USA Today review.
I met a guy today who appeared in the very first edition of USA Today. He said he didn't pick it up when it came out because he thought it was a tabloid. Was he wrong?

9:09 PM  
Blogger The Library Guy said...

Oh, when we were talking about free blacks and black slaveowners, I had mentioned at dinner last week about William Johnson, the Barber of Natchez. Here's a link to a book about him.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home