The PBCS

The PBCS is a group of people who read the same thing at the same time. All are invited to more or less partake.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Jumping the gun slightly here...

I'm going to go ahead and make the announcement regarding the next book to read for book club. It had taken a little while for my copy to arrive when I had special ordered it via Lemuria, and so I wanted to make sure there were copies on hand when I made the announcement.

The book, as most of you probably know, is At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien. I had stated when we were reading Under the Volcano that I was probably going to choose something more comedic.

A few days later, Time magazine comes out with its 100 greatest novels list. Lev Grossman noted that Dylan Thomas had said that At Swim-Two-Birds "is just the book to give your sister if she's a loud, dirty, boozy girl." When I saw that blurb, I was intrigued enough to put it on my shortlist and subsequently have decided to select it.

The book has arrived at Lemuria. According to The Cat, it costs $14.93 and when we have our last Known World meeting, she can bring copies by and you can pay her so long as you have correct change or pay with a check (right?). According to Lindsay, the books are on hold and in my name at the moment if you want a copy of the book sooner.

The book cover may be different than as indicated on the Dalkey website (my book's cover is blue while the site's book cover has a white background), but it should have the introduction by William H. Gass and have an ISBN of 156478181X, which is the version of the book that I'm using.

Edited to add:
Five copies were ordered-- making a total of six available copies at Lemuria-- if no one bought the one copy that was available at Lemuria Tuesday afternoon. TD & I already have copies of the book. The five I ordered should cover TC, FP, DT, Buck, & Coppertop. If anyone else wants a copy, it might be advisable to contact Lemuria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home