The PBCS

The PBCS is a group of people who read the same thing at the same time. All are invited to more or less partake.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

At Swim-Two-Birds Proposed Reading Schedule...

The Cat has asked about a reading schedule. I'm thinking that because this book is not particularly long (and likely is the shortest one we've done) that we have three meetings.

At Swim-Two-Birds is not divided into chapters. Chapter I is the whole book; however, O'Brien has provided some convenient stopping places.

Meeting One: March 7. Most of you are reading the white book. You will be reading from the beginning through the section beginning at page 59, specifically called Synopsis, being a summary of what has gone before, FOR THE BENEFIT OF NEW READERS.

Since TD & I have the blue book, that section begins on page 85. Others who may have the blue book need to take note.

Meeting Two: March 21. Picking up from where we left off, we'll read through the section beginning at page 162, again specifically called Synopsis, being a summary of what has gone before, for the benefit of new readers.

Since TD & I have the blue book, that section begins on page 235. Others who may have the blue book need to take note.

Meeting 3. By this time, we should finish the book. FP had asked about the scheduling a couple weeks ago, and I mentioned that I was hoping that the last meeting would be on April 1 (a Saturday) because I found out in the course of doing a little research that Flann O'Brien died on April 1, 1966. There appeared to be some general agreement with my notion if I'm not mistaken. I'm thinking we could raise some pints in honor of the author on the fortieth anniversary of his death.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Library Guy said...

While I was at Lemuria yesterday, The Cat had a good question about reading through or to the synopses. It would work if you read through to the end of the synopsis, and then pick back up from the end of the synopsis again and read on. Also, you could reread the synopsis and continue forward.

As far as I'm concerned, reading through to the end of the synopsis sections is more advisable than stopping where it says synopsis, but that may just be me.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home